When we used to live in Bozeman Montana there was this restaurant that we would visit regularly. One of the reasons we kept going back was because of one particular salad... the Gallatin Salad. Now if you are about ready to stop ready because I said salad and regularly, please don't. Give me a change to explain.
The Gallatin Salad was something I could count on to be unique and delicious every time we ordered it. Why???
Well the first time I tasted it, it started with roasted and ended with beets. I know that this sounds crazy, but I was sold right then and there. This salad changes between seasons, which I think is so great because I always could expect it to be delicious and unique every time I ordered. However, the first time I ordered this salad it was in September and they had roasted beets & carrots on the salad and I immediately went home and tried to replicate it.
My adaptation of my favorite salads from my time living in Montana goes a little something like this...
- Top your plate with some of your favorite greens ( I chose Kale & Spinach tonight ).
- Choose a few of your favorite veggies ( cherry tomatoes, carrots, broccoli etc...)
- Prepare your Beets:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- scrub the outside of your beets with warm water to clean
- dice into roughly 1/2 inch chunks
- lay them out onto a baking sheet & drizzle with balsamic vinegar & olive oil
- lightly salt & pepper to taste, then gently stir to combine
- Place into preheated oven for 25 -30 mins or until soft ( stir about half way )
- Top your salad with your roasted beets and some of your favorite seeds ( mine are currently these from Barleans )
- Lightly drizzle with your favorite dressing, I usually go with a lighter vinaigrette.